Tuesday, May 8, 2012

New crystals to play with

I recently purchased some vintage Swarovski crystals to turn into necklaces. Receiving them in the mail was like Christmas :) I love to work with the larger swarovski elements like these. I was so happy when I found out they started making some of the larger fancy stones again. They add so much sparkle and glitz to any piece of beadwork. Check them out for yourself at www.firemountaingems.com. I have made a few pieces with these before and I was very pleased with the outcome.
I like to use a cubic right angle weave rope to go around the stones and I embellished this one with some extra swarovski crystal bicones. I learned how to do this from the October 2011 issue of Bead & Button magazine in a tutorial called "Putting on the Glitz" by Ludmila Raitzin. You can get the basics on Cubic right-angle weave here for free, but if you want to learn the whole composition and how to bezel the crystal, I recommend purchasing that issue. 
For these new crystals I am going to try some other variations on the necklace design, maybe add some different embellishments. I will post progress updates of each necklace as they come along :)

No comments:

Post a Comment